Sunday, March 4, 2007

"My Word" -- 1 Answer

The second half of the prompt is to select one of those questions and answer it for myself. So, I'm going with #6!

There is so much to love about my mom, that I don't even know where to begin. She has given me unconditional love since the day I was born. Even during those teenage years when I didn't deserve it, she was there for me. She was willing to let me move in with my biological father after I ran away in high school. Whether she was making the greatest sacrifice a mother could make or simply calling my bluff, it was at that moment that I realized how much she loved me. That's the day I started turning my life around. It took me awhile to earn back her trust, but we have been the best of friends ever since. She was even the Matron-of-Honor in my wedding!

Yet, the question asks me to pick the thing I love the most, so I'm going to narrow it all down to the way she treats me on my birthday. Frankly, I've always felt that the birthday of a child should be a day celebrating the mother...she is the one that did all the work. :-) Yet, my mom makes me feel like the most special person on the planet on my birthday. When I was little, she made and decorated the cutest cakes for me...one to take to my class party and one for my birthday party with friends. She let me choose the dinner menu, which was always steak and potatoes. Even when the family was going through lean times, my birthday celebration was never lacking. In college, she sent me care packages on my birthday with gifts and homemade cookies; even when miles separated us, I was Queen-for-the-day. I'll be celebrating my 40th birthday next month, and my mom is outdoing herself this year! She is taking my sister and me to Chicago for my birthday weekend!!!!! She is trying to get tickets for Wicked and Oprah. Since it is my celebration, she is even willing to give me up for a few hours while I visit the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre.

So, what do I love the most about my mom? I love the way she expresses her love by making me feel special. I love that she is proud of me. I love that she is able to love unconditionally. I love that she is my mom!

No comments: